THE DEPARTMENT OF FINE ARTS
The Department of Fine Arts offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. We currently offer a Bachelor of Arts degree with the choice of either a Studio Art option or an Art History option. Our department has played an important role in the New Orleans art scene. We have many distinguished students who have become internationally recognized artists. Many of our students stay in New Orleans and have become contributors to the cultural community that has grown tremendously in the past 10 years. Our students are introduced to many forms of artistic practice and instruction and are encouraged to enter regional and national competitive exhibitions. Seniors must mount a professional-quality exhibition of their work in the UNO Fine Arts Gallery before they graduate. The UNO Department of Fine Arts has:
- Full accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
- A dedicated faculty who are all actively working professional artists exhibiting throughout the United States and Europe.
- Support facilities, including a computer lab and an in-house slide library, periodicals, reference books, and movies.
- An on-campus Fine Arts Gallery that focuses on exhibitions of undergraduate student work.
- We run an off-campus gallery that features graduate students and visiting artists.
- A separate University "Arts" Library housed within the main campus library.
- An extremely diverse and committed student body offering a myriad of influences of life experiences and cultural viewpoints.
- A regular program of visiting artists and lecturers, both within the department, and in the Greater New Orleans community.
- A proliferation of galleries, institutions, and professional artists in New Orleans, providing an extraordinarily rich field of influences and opportunities.